- Title Pages
- One Introduction
- Two Placing Reading: Ancient Israel and Medieval Europe
- Three Gracious Words: Luke's Jesus and the Reading of Sacred Poetry at the Beginning of the Christian Era
- Four The Cultural Construction of Reading in Anglo-Saxon England
- Five Keep Listening: Ethnography and Reading
- Six The Presence of the Name: Reading Scripture in an Indonesian Village
- Seven Literacy, Orality, and Ritual Practice In Highland Colombia
- Eight Japanese Spirit and Chinese Learning: Scribes and Storytellers In Pre-modern Japan
- Nine: Textual Interpretation As Collective Action
- Ten: Voices Around the Text: The Ethnography of Reading at Mesivta Tifereth Jerusalem
- Eleven Keeping Slug Woman Alive: the Challenge of Reading in a Reservation Classroom
- Twelve Afterword
- The Ethnography of Reading
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.