- Title Pages
- Part One Animal Quaerens
- Chapter One Religion and the Spiritual Quest
- Chapter Two Biological and Psychological Foundations of the Quest
- Chapter Three Linguistic Foundations of the Quest
- Chapter Four The Questing Animal
- Chapter Five Ritual as Affirmation and Transformation
- Chapter Six Myth and the Journey beyond the Self
- Chapter Seven Mobility and Its Limits in Communal Ritual and Myth
- Chapter Eight The Varieties of Spirit Possession
- Chapter Nine Possession and Transformation
- Chapter Ten Shamanism, Possession, and Ecstasy
- Chapter Eleven Shamanic Heartland
- Chapter Twelve The Arctic and Western North America
- Chapter Thirteen Mesoamerica and South America
- Chapter Fourteen Eastern North America and the Great Plains
- Chapter Fifteen A Ternary Process
- Chapter Sixteen The Reality of Transcendence
- Works Consulted
- The Spiritual Quest
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.