- Title Pages
- Prologue Scientific Discourse and Aging Women
- 1 The Turn of Life—Unstable Meanings
- 2 Probabilities and <i>Kōnenki</i>
- 3 Resignation, Resistance, Satisfaction—Narratives of Maturity
- 4 The Pathology of Modernity
- 5 Faltering Discipline and the Ailing Family
- 6 Illusion of Indolence—Ideology and Partial Truths
- 7 Odd Women Out
- 8 Controlled Selves and Tempered Bodies
- 9 Peering Behind the Platitudes—Rituals of Resistance
- 10 The Doctoring of <i>Kōnenki</i>
- 11 The Making of Menopause
- 12 Against Nature—Menopause as Herald of Decay
- Epilogue The Politics of Aging—Flashes of Immortality
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.