- Title Pages
- 1 “These Mountains Look Too Ugly and I See Too Much Work Ahead”
- 2 Men of Vision Southern Pacific Leaders, Land, Agriculture, and the Development of California and the West
- 3 “Stand on the Rights of the Company and Make a Square Fight of It”
- 4 The Mussel Slough Affair
- 5 A Land of “Well-tilled Little Farms”
- 6 Promoting the Far West
- 7 “The Satisfactory Supply is yet Undiscovered”
- 8 “A Great Encouragement for Others”
- 9 “This Splendid Country Is to Be Reclaimed”
- 10 “The Government Is Hard to Deal With”
- 11 “Evangel Train”
- 12 “The Damndest Railroading You Ever Heard Of”
- 13 “Shall This Destruction Proceed?”
- 14 “Putting Our Properties on the Most Conservative and Scientific Basis”
- A Note on Manuscript Sources
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.