- Title Pages
- Between Metropole and Colony
- 1 Liberal Strategies of Exclusion
- 2 Imperialism and Motherhood
- 3 Of Mimicry and Man
- 4 Images of Empire, Contests of Conscience
- 5 Sexual Affronts and Racial Frontiers
- 6 “The Conversion of Englishmen and the Conversion of the World Inseparable”
- 7 Race, Gender, and Citizenship in the German Colonial Empire
- 8 “Le Bébé En Brousse”
- 9 Tradition in the Service of Modernity
- 10 Educating Conformity in French Colonial Algeria
- 11 The Difference—Deferral of a Colonial Modernity
- 12 The Dialectics of Decolonization
- 13 Cars Out of Place
- Notes on Contributors
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.