- Title Pages
- PREFACEThe Edge of the World
- PART 1 Islands and Disciplines
- CHAPTER 1 Robinson Crusoe, Anthropology, and the Horizon of Technology
- CHAPTER 2 History on the Wild Coast
- PART 2 Colonial Ground
- CHAPTER 3 Botany Bay to Devil's Island
- CHAPTER 4 The Natural Prison
- PART 3 Modern Sky
- CHAPTER 5 A Gate to the Heavens
- CHAPTER 6 The Margin of the Future
- PART 4 Worlds in Motion
- CHAPTER 7 Tropics of Nature
- CHAPTER 8 The Nature of Work
- CHAPTER 9 The Imperfect Equator
- Space in the Tropics
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.