- Title Pages
- California Studies in 20th-century Music
- 1 Defining Music Theater
- 2 The Multiplicity of the Exotic
- 3 Ritual and Performance
- 4 The Masks of Modernism
- 5 Freedom in a Tunic Versus Frieze-Dried Classicism: Hellenism in Modernist Performance
- 6 The Uses of Noh
- 7 Medievalism and the French Modernist Stage
- 8 The Audience as Congregation
- 9 Britten's Parables
- 10 Later British Mysteries
- 11 Orientalists and a Crusader
- 12 Partch's Vision of “Integrated Corporeal Theater” and “Latter-Day Rituals”
- 13 Bitter Rituals for a Lost Nation: Partch and Bernstein
- 14 God in Popular Music (al) Theater
- 15 Masking the Human and the Misogyny of Masks
- 16 Music Theater Now
- Selected Bibliography
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.