- Title Pages
- Introduction: Sounding Out
- 1 Hermeneutics and Musical History
- 2 Hands On, Lights Off
- 3 Beyond Words and Music
- 4 Franz Liszt and the Virtuoso Public Sphere
- 5 Rethinking Schumann's Carnaval
- 6 Glottis Envy
- 7 Hercules' Hautboys
- 8 The Voice of Persephone
- 9 Powers of Blackness
- 10 Long Ride in a Slow Machine
- 11 Chiaroscuro
- 12 Ghost Stories
- Musical Meaning
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.