- Title Pages
- Introduction Teaching What Cannot Be Taught
- Chapter 1 Subject, Object, and the Ethnomusicology Ensemble
- Chapter 2 “A Bridge to Java”
- Chapter 3 Opportunity and Interaction
- Chapter 4 “Where's ‘One’?”
- Chapter 5 A Square Peg in a Round Hole
- Chapter 6 “No, Not ‘bali Hai’!”
- Chapter 7 Cultural Interactions in an Asian Context
- Chapter 8 “Can't Help but Speak, Can't Help but Play”
- Chapter 9 The African Ensemble in America
- Chapter 10 Klez Goes to College
- Chapter 11 Creating a Community, Negotiating Among Communities
- Chapter 12 Bilateral Negotiations in Bimusicality
- Chapter 13 Community of Comfort
- Chapter 14 What's the “It” that We Learn to Perform?
- Chapter 15 “When Can We Improvise?”
- Afterword Some Closing Thoughts from the First Voice
- Works Cited
- Performing Ethnomusicology
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.