- Title Pages
- A Note on Textual Conventions
- A Note on Dynasties and Reigns
- Prologue: A Chaste Barbarian Martyrs Herself on the Imperial Frontier
- Chapter 1 Defining Gender Orthodoxy for a Multiethnic Empire
- Chapter 2 Statecraft and Gender Order in the Qianlong Reign
- Prologue: A Righteous Husband Plays the Politics of the Wifely Way
- Chapter 3 Enforcing Gender Order: Between the Ancestral Hall and the Yamen
- Chapter 4 Divided Loyalties: Natal Families and the Exercise of Patrilineal Authority
- Chapter 5 Adultery, Incest, and the Multiple Meanings of Patriarchy
- Prologue: A Compromised Widow Sacrifices Her Body to Defend Inner Virtue
- Chapter 6 The Wages of Wanton Mixing: Violation and Gender Disorder
- Chapter 7 “Accommodating Sages”: Gender Separation in Social Practice
- Prologue: Male Impropriety and Female Outrage Lead to a Tragic End
- Chapter 8 The Problem of Female Moral Agency
- Chapter 9 The Logic of Female Suicide
- A Note on Archival Sources
- Character List
- Other Sources
- Disgraceful Matters
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.