- Title Pages
- Preface and Acknowledgments
- Introduction: The Galileo Affair from Descartes to John Paul II
- Chapter 1 The Condemnation of Galileo (1633)
- Chapter 2 Promulgation and Diffusion of the News (1633–1651)
- Chapter 3 Emblematic Reactions
- Chapter 4 Polarizations
- Chapter 5 Compromises
- Chapter 6 Myth-making or Enlightenment?
- Chapter 7 Incompetence or Enlightenment?
- Chapter 8 New Lies, Documents, Myths, Apologies (1758–1797)
- Chapter 9 Napoleonic Wars and Trials (1810–1821)
- Chapter 10 The Inquisition on Galileo's Side?
- Chapter 11 Varieties of Torture
- Chapter 12 A Miscarriage of Justice?
- Chapter 13 Galileo Right Again, Wrong Again
- Chapter 14 A Catholic Hero
- Chapter 15 Secular Indictments
- Chapter 16 History on Trial
- Chapter 17 More “Rehabilitation”
- Epilogue: Unfinished Business
- Select Bibliography
- Retrying Galileo, 1633-1992
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.