- University of California Press, one of the most distinguished
- university presses in the United States, enriches lives around the
- world by advancing scholarship in the humanities, social sciences,
- and natural sciences. Its activities are supported by the UC Press
- Foundation and by philanthropic contributions from individuals and
- institutions. For more information, visit www.ucpress.edu.
- University of California Press
- Berkeley and Los Angeles, California
- University of California Press, Ltd.
- London, England
- © 2006 by The Regents of the University of California
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Clancey, Gregory K.
- Earthquake nation: the cultural politics of Japanese seismicity,
- 1868–1930 / Gregory Clancey
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 0-520-24607-1 (cloth: alk. paper)
- 1. Japan—Civilization—1868–1945. 2. Earthquakes—Japan—
- Psychological aspects. 3. Earthquakes—Japan—Social aspects. I.
- Title: Cultural politics of Japanese seismicity, 1868–1930. II. Title.
- DS822.3.C46 2006
- 624.1′762095209o34—dc22 2005028159
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- 15 14 13 12 11 10 09 08 07 06
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
- This book is printed on New Leaf EcoBook 50, a 100% recycled fiber
- of which 50% is de-inked post-consumer waste, processed chlorine-free.
- EcoBook 50 is acid-free and meets the minimum requirements of
- ANSI /ASTM D5634–01 (Permanence of Paper).