- Title Pages
- The Stephen Bechtel Fund
- One Discovering the Ocean
- Two A Portrait of the Ocean Planet
- Three Life at the Edge of a Fertile Sea
- Four Of Coral Reefs and Atolls
- Five The Zen of the Beach
- Six Unraveling the Gulf Stream Puzzle
- Seven Sardines and the California Current
- Eight Meadows and Deserts of the Sea
- Nine Of Whales and Sharks and Giant Squid
- Ten The Deep, the Cold, the Dark
- Eleven Seeing in the Dark
- Twelve Mountains, Trenches, Sunken Islands
- Thirteen The Ocean’s Memory of the Ice Ages
- Fourteen Abyssal Memories
- Fifteen Global Warming and the Ocean
- Appendix One Units Used in the Ocean Sciences
- Appendix Two Aspects of Ocean Chemistry
- Appendix Three Overview of Major Groups of Important Marine Organisms
- Appendix Four Geologic Time Scale
- Appendix Five Topographic Statistics
- Figure Sources and References
A Thousand Holes in the Bottom of the Sea
- (p.405) Fourteen Abyssal Memories
Wolf H. Berger
- University of California Press
This chapter discusses geologic mapping and deep-sea drilling expeditions. It explains trends in climate and evolution based on samples from deep-sea drilling. Drilling sediments and shallow basement rocks provide information about the changing types of sediments by the seafloor through geologic time, changing chemistry and fertility, and the changing life forms inhabiting the ocean. The chapter also discusses the great cooling that began in the late Eocene and led to the build-up of Antarctic ice masses and ice sheets in the Arctic Ocean.
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.