- Title Pages
- Roth Family Foundation
- Author's Note
- Chapter 1 New York City Big Band Scenes
- Chapter 2 Behind the Scenes: Training, Rehearsals, and Gigs
- Chapter 3 The Rise of Repertory Orchestras
- Chapter 4 On the Inside: The Vanguard Jazz Orchestra
- Chapter 5 Making It Work: Leaders and Musical Direction
- Chapter 6 New Directions in Jazz Composition: Three Portraits
- Chapter 7 On the Edge: Sue Mingus and the Mingus Big Band
- Chapter 8 “In the Crack” to “Totally Outside”: Avant-Garde Bands
- Chapter 9 Jazz and Clave: Latin Big Bands
- Chapter 10 Going for It: All-Women Bands
- Chapter 11 Blood on the Fields: Wynton Marsalis and the Transformation of the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra
- Appendix Some New York City Big Bands Active in 1997–1998
- Selected Discography of Contemporary New York City Big Band Music, 1990–2005
(not including many dance bands)
- Making the Scene
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.