- Title Pages
- Prologue: Yael
- Part One Dividing
- Chapter 1 Surrogate Selves and Embodied Others
- Chapter 2 the Body Map
- Chapter 3 Operationalizing the Body Map
- Part Two Connecting
- Chapter 4 Intended Mothers and Maternal Intentions
- Chapter 5 The Shifting Body
- Part Three Separating
- Chapter 6 Rites of Classification
- CHAPTER 7 the Surrogate's Gift
- PART FOUR Redefining
- Chapter 8 the Surrogate's Mission
- Chapter 9 the Hero's Quest
the Body Map
the Body Map
- (p.54) Chapter 2 the Body Map
- Birthing a Mother
- University of California Press
This chapter focuses on the lines of demarcation—the body map—that surrogates inscribe on their bodies to define whose kin, motherhood, and nature are being cultivated during surrogacy. Surrogates engage in cognitive and bodily distancing practices that help them maintain these separations.
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.