- Title Pages
- Chapter 1 Wagner’s Faustian Understanding of Beethoven’s Ninth
- Chapter 2 The Impact of Beethoven’s Ninth on The Flying Dutchman
- Chapter 3 Wagner, Thematic Dispersion, and Contrary Motion
- Chapter 4 Schumann, Thematic Dispersion, and Contrary Motion
- Chapter 5 Late Schumann, Wagner, and Bach
- Chapter 6 Brahms’s Triple Response to the Ninth
- Chapter 7 Wagner and Schumann
- Appendix 1 Citations of Wagner’s Possible Allusions and Influences in The Flying Dutchman
- Appendix 2 Contrary Motion Counterpoint in the First Movement of Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony
- Appendix 3 Contrary Motion Counterpoint in The Flying Dutchman
- Appendix 4 Contrary Motion Counterpoint in the Fourth Movement of Schumann’s Second Symphony
- Appendix 5 Contrary Motion Counterpoint in the First Movement of Brahms’s First Symphony
- Works Cited
- Wagner, Schumann, and the Lessons of Beethoven's Ninth
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.