- Title Pages
- List of Illustrations
- Note on the Text
- Note on Translation and Commentary
1.Folk Song at the Beginnings of National History
- From Alte Volkslieder / Ancient Folk Songs
2.The Folk Song Project at the Confluence of Music and Nationalism
- From Volkslieder and Stimmen der Völker in Liedern / Folk Songs and Voices of the People in Song
3.Singing the Sacred Body
- From Lieder der Liebe: Die ältesten und schönsten aus Morgenlande / Songs of Love: The Oldest and Most Beautiful from the Orient
4.The Nation and Its Fragments
- From “Briefwechsel über Ossian und die Lieder alter Völker” / “Correspondence about Ossian and the Songs of Ancient Peoples”
5.Songs of the Enlightenment Bard
- “Homer und Ossian” / “Homer and Ossian”
6.Redemption through Sacred Song
- Letter 46, Theologische Schriften / Theological Writings
7.The Shores of Modernity
- From “Wirkung der Dichtkunst auf die Sitten neuerer Zeiten” / “The Influence of Poetry on the Customs of Modernity”
8.The Epic as Nation
- From Der Cid / The Cid
9.Music Transcendent and Sublime
- “Von Musik” / “On Music”
Singing the Sacred Body
Singing the Sacred Body
Essay on Lieder der Liebe (1778)
- (p.105) 3. Singing the Sacred Body
- Song Loves the Masses
Philip V. Bohlman
- University of California Press
With his three-chapter book, Lieder der Liebe (Songs of Love), Herder not only contributed to the long tradition of translating the biblical Song of Songs (Hebrew, Shir ha-shirim), but published critical new perspectives on the confluence of religion and literature with an aesthetic formed from embodiment and sexuality. Herder combines earlier translations, especially those in the Middle High German repertories of medieval minnesingers and from the sixteenth-century Martin Luther Bible, and weaves his own paraphrases of the songs into them, emphasizing the beauty and sensuality of the biblical poetry. The English translation in chapter 3 of Song Loves the Masses captures what Herder called “the spirit of Hebrew poesy” and the ways it engenders a modern musical aesthetic.
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.