- Title Pages
- Introduction: Modern Dilemmas in Writing on Religion
- Part One Ambivalent Feelings
- Chapter 1 Fascinated Scientists and Empathizing Theologians
- Chapter 2 Finding Middle Grounds
- Part Two The Art of Writing on Religion
- Chapter 3 A Creative Process
- CHAPTER 4 Other Scholars' UFOs
- Chapter 5 The Religiohistorical Sublime
- Part Three Two Truths
- Chapter 6 Relating Stories about Religious Traditions
- Chapter 7 Aesthetic Objects and Objective Knowledge
- Part Four Working Together
- Chapter 8 Interpreting Anew and Alone: Vision and Succession in Dutch Phenomenology
- Chapter 9 Explaining Together: The Excitement of Diffusionist Ideas
- Chapter 10 Interpreting Together: The Cambridge Ritualists' Affair of the Intellect
- Chapter 11 Concepts of Collectivity and the Fabric of Religiohistorical Knowledge
- Afterword: The Future of Modern Dilemmas
- Frequently Cited Sources
- Aesthetics and Analysis in Writing on Religion
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.