- Title Pages
- Note on Dates, Abbreviations, and Transliteration
Chapter 1The Society of the Absent
Chapter 2Geography, a Pathway through History
Chapter 3A Resolute Localism
- Conclusion to Part I Making Tarim a Place of Return
Chapter 4Ecumenical Islam in an Oceanic World
Chapter 5Hybrid Texts: Genealogy as Light and as Law
Chapter 6Creole Kinship: Genealogy as Gift
- Conclusion to Part II Local Cosmopolitans
Chapter 7Return as Pilgrimage
Chapter 9The View from the Verandah
- Concluding Remarks Names beyond Nations
- The Graves of Tarim
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.