- Title Pages
1. Deferred Dreams, Broken Families, and Hardship: The Impact of Welfare Reform
2. Attacking Welfare, Promoting Work and Marriage: Continuity and Change in Welfare Opposition
3. The 1950s Welfare Backlash and Federal Complicity
4. Explaining the Postwar Rise of Welfare Opposition
5. Southern Welfare Backlashes: Georgia and Kentucky
6. Western and Northern Welfare Backlashes: California and New York
7. Setting the Stage: The Failures of Liberal Innovation
8. The Rise of the Republican Right and the New Democrats
9. Business Interests, Conservative Think Tanks, and the Assault on Welfare
10. Congressional Attacks on Welfare, 1980–2004
11. Rebuilding the Welfare State: Forging a New Deal for Working Families
Appendix 1States That Restricted Eligibility for ADC, 1949–1960
Appendix 2Variables and Data Sources Used in Quantitative Analysis
- Backlash against Welfare Mothers
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.