- Title Pages
- Prelude: The Music of Pleasure and Desire
- Chapter 1 The Expansion Principle
- Chapter 2 Composites, or the Still-Divided Subject
- Chapter 3 Soprano as Fetish: Professional Singers in Early Modern Italy
- Chapter 4 Gender Ambiguities and Erotic Excess in the Operas of Cavalli
- Chapter 5 Libidinous Theology
- Chapter 6 Straining Belief: The Toccata
- Chapter 7 The Social History of a Groove: Chacona, Ciaccona, Chaconne, and <i>the</i> Chaconne
- Chapter 8 Dancing about Power, Architecture about Dancing
- Chapter 9 Temporality and Ideology: Qualities of Motion in Seventeenth-Century French Music
- Chapter 10 The Dragon Cart: The Femme Fatale in Seventeenth-Century French Opera
- Postlude: Toward Consolidation
- Desire and Pleasure in Seventeenth-Century Music
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.