- Title Pages
- List of Figures
- List of Tables
- List of Musical Examples
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Foreign Music and the Emergence of Phonography
- 3 Forward to the Past
- 4 The Newness of Old-Time Music
- 5 From Jazz to Pop
- 6 The Corny-ness of the Folk
- 7 The Dictionary of Soul
- 8 Crossover Dreams
- 9 Notes Toward a Conclusion
- Categorizing Sound
- University of California Press
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.