- Title Pages
- Part One Truths and Fictions
- Bring Out the Dead
- Chapter 1 Portrait of a “Real” Marero
- Brother’s Bones
- Chapter 2 Emissaries of the Violent Peace
- Part Two Worlds and Underworlds
- The Road to Prison
- Chapter 3 Porous Prisons
- The Prisoners and the Cascabel
- Chapter 4 Extorted Life
- Part Three Spectacle, Structure, and Agency
- Make It a <i>Global</i>
- Chapter 5 Made-for-Media Murder
- Farewell, Guatemala City
- Chapter 6 Liminal Redemption
Of Violent Others and Orders of Violence
- (p.241) Epilogue
- Mortal Doubt
Anthony W. Fontes
- University of California Press
The final chapter traces the fates of several main characters in prison and on the street through the chaos of Guatemalan politics in recent years. It splices these narratives into a discussion of how reactionary political movements in the United States are drawing on the image of the Central American gang member (among a list of evil, barbarous “others”) to push anti-immigrant agendas in a moment of profound global uncertainty and unrest.
California Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.